Most people are complaining hard because they have too much acid running inside their stomach, as if wishing to have a few of those. To clear things out about our body’s normal mechanism, let us examine how our stomach acid works.
Stomach acid which technically is called the Hydrochloric acid is present inside our stomach for these reasons:
- They aid in the digestion of protein – protein has to be broken down into smaller particles called amino acids so that it can be absorbed and used by the body.
- Protects us from infection – we seldom notice but we eat foods containing bacteria. These bacteria causes infection in our body but is being killed by the presence of the stomach acid.
- Hastens digestion in the small intestines – it’s the acidic chyme that causes the release of other digestive enzymes like bile and pancreas enzymes
Thus, in cases when the stomach acid is low, this will result in malnutrition because you do not get the protein that you need and minerals that you should have. Low minerals result from acidic blood caused by protein indigestion because it is the acidic blood that eats away the minerals from the body. So it is like, low stomach acid à protein indigestion à acidic blood à decreased minerals.
So now we understand that having a low stomach acid is also detrimental to the body, let us learn how to increase the stomach acid for people who do not have enough.
- Decrease the intake of sugar – sugar lowers the acid level
- Stop eating processed foods – this will make your digestion ineffective
- Add fermented foods like potent proteins, culture vegetables and coconut kefir to your diet
Having a low stomach acid is not that good after all. Therefore, the best state to be in is to have a normal amount of acid in the stomach for proper digestion. Increase it when it is low, and decrease it when it is high.